Starting in 1838, rural cemeteries quickly became the preference of most New York families. Not only did the next generation provide for its immediate families with plots in these places, but many older remains were moved out of lower Manhattan and reinterred. Removals were from cemeteries that were still functioning as well as churchyards that were being closed down. The Marble Cemetery contributed to this trend, losing over one third of its inhabitants, many of them to Green-Wood in nearby Brooklyn.
The Cemetery is showing its age. Tuckahoe marble from Westchester County, also seen at St. Patrick’s Cathedral, the Century Club, Brooklyn Borough Hall,and the US Capitol, is soft and particularly susceptible to weathering. It was used for the vaults, plaques and lintels and gave the Cemetery its name. Fifty years ago, the deteriorating Dead House was demolished. The masonry work of the distinctive rubble walls is in need of extensive repair, and plans are in place for doing this in stages. The Cemetery has been designated a New York City Landmark and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Because it is a Sec. 501 (c) (13) corporation, all contributions toward restoration are tax deductible.