This small burial ground in Manhattan’s East Village is sometimes called the Second Avenue Cemetery. It is the oldest public non-sectarian cemetery in New York City and is located at 41 1/2 Second Avenue between 2nd Street and 3rd Street.
Most of the 2,080 interments took place between 1830 and 1870; the last was in 1937. All burials are in 156 below-ground vaults made of solid white Tuckahoe marble.
Although there are no gravestones, the names of the original owners are on plaques in the surrounding walls. Their descendants may still be buried here.
The Cemetery’s landscaped grounds are available to rent for weddings, garden parties, and special events. Contact the events coordinator for details.
Cemetery gates are usually open to visitors April through October on the fourth Sunday of each month from 12pm until 4pm, as well as several other weekends throughout the year. Check the schedule for more details on opening times. Owners, neighbors, and researchers are all welcome. In the event of heavy rain, please plan on another time.
This is one of two unrelated “Marble Cemeteries” in New York. The other is the New York City Marble Cemetery, around the corner. The New York City Marble Cemetery has its own web site with separate contact information. Both are New York City Landmarks and on the National Register of Historic Places.