New York Marble Cemetery
The oldest public non-sectarian cemetery in New York City.
This small burial ground, located at 41 1/2 Second Avenue in Manhattan's East Village, is sometimes called the Second Avenue Cemetery. It is the oldest public non-sectarian cemetery in New York City.
Most of the 2,080 interments took place between 1830 and 1870; the last was in 1937. All burials are in 156 below-ground vaults made of solid white Tuckahoe marble.
Although there are no gravestones, the names of the original owners are on plaques in the surrounding walls. Their descendants may still be buried here. (...more)
The painting on the left is by Rembrandt Peale.
Courtesy Museum of the City of New York.