The Dead House stood in the Cemetery's far south-west corner for 120 years, until its removal in 1955. It was used for temporary storage of remains awaiting burial or shipment. Its position over the entry shaft for Vaults 51 and 52 enabled Perkins Nichols - the Cemetery's developer and the owner of Vault 51 - easy access. The engraved marble tablets for the Nichols, Hosack, and Parish vaults were set into its facade. This drawing is from an unnamed 1914 newspaper article.